Monday, February 23, 2009

BFF....well, not so much

Tony & I work such opposite shifts that I literally see him for less than 10 minutes a day Monday through Thursday. Friday we get the afternoon together before I head off to work, and if I'm really lucky, we get a few minutes together when I get home Friday nights before he falls asleep from the exhaustion of waiting for me. Mostly, he's asleep before I ever get home. Saturdays are our days to just be together, and never have to look at the clock for anything. Sundays we have to be aware that we have to put the boys to bed early so Tony can take a shower to get ready to go back to work on Monday. Saturdays are our only day all week for us.

So recently, Tony & I have experienced a huge lag in our social life. I guess it was easier to ignore when our nephew, Alex, lived with us & could watch the kids at the drop of a hat. We could go out together whenever we wanted & didn't notice our phone wasn't ringing. Well, Alex moved back to Phoenix & it's kind of lonely on Saturday nights. This past Friday, 2 different friends (Tony's best & oldest friends) called us. The first (Friend #1) asked us to babysit Saturday night. The second (Friend #2) needed help bailing his brother out of jail. Friend #1 had asked us to babysit on Valentine's Day & we said no. This time we said yes, but not to overnight as they'd asked. They cancelled on us with less than an hours notice, which is shitty enough, but now they won't take our calls. The last time Friend #2 called was to ask for money for their water bill. Tony bailed his brother out of jail Friday night, but can't get him to hang out with him.

I'm getting to the point where I don't think we have friends that want anything to do with us unless it benefits them. It's a depressing thought. What can you do when you don't have any options beyond the people who are calling for favors? Hell these are his friends, I got nothing, so I shouldn't bitch at all, right? If my phone isn't ringing at all, then nobody is asking me for a damn thing. It would be nice to just hear from someone who says, "Hi, how are you," once a month, as opposed to calling every week for, "Hey, I need a favor." When was the last time you called someone to just say, "Hey"? I know it's been awhile for me, too, but maybe now is a good time to start practicing what I preach.

1 comment:

littleone4228 said...

I hate people like that and believe me, I've had them. I guess it's just how we are when we want to help other people and unfortunately some people really take advantage of this and when you finally stand up to them they go away...at least until the next time they need something from you.
I say "fuck em'" and hang out with your husband and kids because they are the ones who really matter! I wish we would have hung out more when I lived near you because I realize that you really do mean a lot to me and I value your friendship!
love ya!